JaneDoe issues

6 years 9 months ago #650 by Adminv
JaneDoe issues was created by Adminv
Hi everyone!

After certain complains and bug reports regarding the JaneDoe template and its responsive behavior on iPhones. I just want to let you know that I work on a new version and will release it today/tomorrow.

The problem:
The template comes with three different layout layers:
One for mobile devices with up to 767px display wide (mobiles), one for disply resolution of 768 - 980px (tablets and older desktops) and one for 980px + (normal desktops).

The problem is that an iPhone4+ has an relatively small screen with a relatively high resoultion. The template handle it like a tablet computer because of the resolution of more than 768px...the result is that the template use its tablet layout on iPhones. The normal sized font ist hardly readable on a small screen with such a high dpi resolution and the sidebar don´t move to the top as it does on other mobiles.

I will post it here if the new version is ready.
Sorry for any trouble and inconvenience!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 9 months ago #652 by Adminv
Replied by Adminv on topic JaneDoe issues
New Version released today:
JaneDoe V1.1

Product Page

Changes/Fixes:

- Sidebar moves to the top on smaller/mobile screens (including iPhones). So the site name/logo appears first, followed by the mainmenu, followed by the content items
- Additionally "to the top" link appears in the lower right corner. If you scroll down the content you can jump back with one click to the main menu
- Font size increased on sub 1024px resolutions automatically. So its much easier to read the text
- "empty sidebar" bug fixed. Sidebar will appear (on higher resolutions...) even if no module is published.
- Some smaller issues fixed

6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #653 by atri
Replied by atri on topic JaneDoe issues
An excellent and commendable effort, the template looks and works much better on iphone4 and the same nice looking mobile layout also hits the ipads now! Good work!

That being said, some very prominent bugs were still left unfixed, including the auto-width bug which seems to randomly plague Google Chrome and Safari browsers, the example of this bug is shown below on the new template update when I use Google Chrome to browse it:

It should be noted that Google Chrome is the most used web browser right now, having website visitors see something like the image above is not acceptable. I applied a rudimentary fix to my style.css to avoid this bug.

Next is the left pane overflow bug which is actually extremely easy to fix by simply adding an overflow scroll bar to the left pane (which is an invisible scrollbar unless an overflow happens.) An overflow in the left pane is shown in the next attached image at a resolution of 1024x786. Adding a scroll bar to the left pane was an easy fix to apply to style.css, and I did that for my site.

But also shown in this image is a bug present in IE10, the width of the template becomes big and a scroll bar appears on the horizontal axis at a resolution of 1024x768, I don't know how to fix this issue for ie10, please help. Once again, auto-width does not seem to work well here at 1024x768:

Thanks for your good work, excellent effort, but the template is still plagued by the major auto-width bug in chrome and Safari in particular, and also in IE10. This needs some attention as it makes the site uncomfortable and in some cases impossible to browse.

Thanks,
Alex

6 years 9 months ago #654 by Adminv
Replied by Adminv on topic JaneDoe issues
Hi!

First of all: Thx for your valuable feedback and your help to improve the template (I add a extra free month to your account...).

I was able to find and fix the Scrollbar problem in Webkit based browsers. The new Version 1.1.1 is online since a few minutes.

The only problem I have is to reproduce the auto width problem mentioned in the first part of your post. Maybe it was also related to the second problem and is solved with the new fix (I fixed the second problem before I took a look at the first one...). If not, which browser version and operationg system do you use? And: Your screenshot was taken from the showcase where the template is presented in an sourrounding iFrame...does the problem also appear if you open the demo site directly:
www.janedoe.joomlatemplates.info

6 years 9 months ago #662 by atri
Hi,

Thank you for your efforts and the extra month on my account. I apologize for the late reply, I've been busy developing another website.

The auto width problem is easily reproduced using Google Chrome or Safari, by just simply clicking around the site for a while. The auto width bug is well documented for Chrome and Safari:
Auto Width Bug

I'm afraid you'll probably have to find another way to make the site responsive, perhaps by writing individual cases for each screen resolution rather than using 'auto-width' -- this is what I did to fix the auto-width bug in the Jane Doe template. So this bug is still present, here's a picture of it, I just visited the Jane Doe demo again:

The problem in IE10 is actually worse now, so I skipped this template update, look at what happens now in IE10 at 1024x768:

6 years 9 months ago #663 by atri
Hi,

Thank you for your efforts and the extra month on my account. I apologize for the late reply, I've been busy developing another website.

The auto width problem is easily reproduced using Google Chrome or Safari, by just simply clicking around the site for a while. The auto width bug is well documented for Chrome and Safari:
Auto Width Bug

I'm afraid you'll probably have to find another way to make the site responsive, perhaps by writing individual cases for each screen resolution rather than using 'auto-width' -- this is what I did to fix the auto-width bug in the Jane Doe template. So this bug is still present, here's a picture of it, I just visited the Jane Doe demo again:

The problem in IE10 is actually worse now, so I skipped this template update completely, look at what happens now in IE10 at 1024x768:

The website still overflows on the x-axis, but now there is no scrollbar like there was before, so the user really can't see the website at all.

These two bugs are really huge and need fixing. The auto width bug is easy to fix -- stop using auto-width, write individual cases for all resolutions -- at least that's what I did. Google Chrome is the most used browser now, Safari is used on ipads and iphones, where I also reproduced the bug -- so you can't let this one go. I'm amazed you haven't been able to reproduced this bug, another user on this forum noticed it right away too.

The other bug in ie10, I'm not sure how to fix.

Thanks for your great efforts, it's a beautiful looking blog template and I've already launched my site with it. But these bugs are big...

Thanks,
Alex

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds